Mittwoch, 14. Oktober 2009

Comfort

Some people are very comforting to talk to.

As I brush my hair, I keep complaining. There is always something to complain about. Trust me, the world is heading for the worst.

"Oh, but it's probably not that bad", she says and puts the brush away. Her long black hair gleams in the bathroom light.

Oh yes, it is. Only yesterday I found my cat, dead, in the trashcan. Looks like someone overran him, maybe in front of the house, and instead of telling me, they threw him away. Can you believe it?

"I think they were just trying not to hurt your feelings, what with the hard times you're going through and everything."

"You think?" I don't believe anyone is trying to protect me. No one cares anyway. I take the time to brush my teeth and look at her in the mirror. The toothpaste tastes minty and a bit like lemon. Spit, gargle, spit again. Just yesterday the boss gave me another dressing down because the project didn't work.The thing is, it wasn't even my fault! But Alan, who messed up - yet again - had already gone home, so I got it. And on the way back home, at the supermarket, that slut at the cashier who shortchanged me...

"Now, come off it! They're not doing it just to annoy you. Other people do have problems, too." Shee looks straight at me. "You're not the only one in the world who's in trouble."

Hell, I could end their trouble. Sometimes I wish I could just take a gun, head into town and end some jerks' miserable lives. I'm sure I could get a gun somewhere. At George's place or something. In my mind dark pictures pass in a slideshow. I look at the mirror, look her the eyes - brown eyes, just like mine, MY eyes, with a mischievous smile twinkling in them. We put the towel down on the drying rack.

"Well, why don't you give it a try?"

Keine Kommentare: