Montag, 7. Dezember 2009

The monster under the sink

"Mommy?"
"Yes, darling?"
"Mommy, there's a monster under the sink."
"Now, Stephanie, aren't you too old to believe in monsters? The only thing under the sink is the trash can. Go to sleep."
"I love you, Mommy."
"I love you, too."

@ @ @

I stopped talking about the monster. But it's still there. Don't believe me? Go and see for yourself! It's eyes are glowing in the dark. Sometimes I am scared - although it's only a tiny monster, I guess, if it fits in there with all the stuff.
How I wish Joshua would go to the party with me. It's Christina's birthday. She is my best friend. And Josh - he is sooo cute! But I'm sure he won't ask me. Of course he won't. Who would go out with a crazy chick that sees monsters in their house anyway? Christina said something about a Ouija board. Sounds exciting.

@ @ @

They say they can't bear it anymore. They say I am crazy because I trashed the kitchen. But the monster attacked me, and I am glad I survived. They say they are going to take me somewhere with people who can help me. I wonder what they are talking about - exorzism?

@ @ @

I wish I remembered a damn thing from before my stay inside. Don't know what the hell they did with my memory. Maybe it was the drugs, or maybe it was the treatment. In my file I read something about electric shock therapy, but they must have made that up. I don't remember any of that stuff. I don't remember much at all. Hell, I don't even know why they brought me there.
Fortunately, Peter was there for me. We met after I was discharged, and we are going to marry in two weeks. My parents said they would move to Florida, so we will have the house to ourselves. They looked at me when they said it, as if they were waiting for something.
I am glad Peter is such a good cook. I don't like cooking. I stay out of the kitchen as much as I can. Funny, hu?
Oh, by the way - don't tell anybody, but I am pregnant. It's still a secret. You know how the neighbours are...

@ @ @

Lovely daughter. But something is wrong with her, I think. Yesterday when she couldn't sleep and I went to fetch her milk and cookies from the kitchen, she told me to be careful. She said something was living under the sink.
Children have really vivid dreams, sometimes.

Kommentare:

jdanetyler hat gesagt…

Nice. I love the progression of childhood through adulthood. The erased memories of her youth lost through the therapy lend a generational effect to the piece. Nice work!

Jon hat gesagt…

Very nice! I like how you give just enough information for the reader to fill in the blanks with our their imaginations.
Really well written.

slommler hat gesagt…

Oh this is so well done!! I loved this story. Loved the progression! Thank you!
Hugs
SueAnn

Magaly Guerrero hat gesagt…

Nice, it made me think of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" but without all the sadness. Also, it makes one wonder about how we change once we grew up, huh? I wonder if I will be like that, hope not.

Great pacing and transitions, by the way.