Donnerstag, 11. März 2010

Scrambled eggs

Shopping time. The same as every Friday. Larissa clung close to her mother. All these people made her nervous. She was afraid she might do something stupid.

"Now, be a big girl and get me some eggs, will you?" Her mother was busy studying the backside of a packet of some healthy stuff. She almost stressed how important healthy stuff was for you. Fortunately, most healthy stuff tasted really good, once you got to know it.

Larissa's mother was beautiful - tall, slender, with long blond hair and eyes the blue of summer sky. She was beautiful in this "I don't really care how I look" way, even today, wearing a long, unadorned black skirt and an off-white T-shirt. She wore no makeup, and makeup really was not necessary with skin like that.

Of course Larissa did not yet understand all the details concerning female beauty. All she knew was that her mother was beautiful. Even more beautiful than the puppet she always admired when they went into town and wish she had put on every letter to Santa for the last three years. At the age of six, that was half a lifetime of longing for something she somehow knew she couldn't have.

Carefully, the girl put the eggs into the shopping cart and continued to follow her mother around the supermarket. It did not take them long to find everything they were looking for. With huge eyes Larissa admired the chocolate cookies, but she knew they would not buy any. Cookies were for special occasions. Instead, her mother had bought her some raspberries. Raspberries were Larissa's favorite fruit.

The queue was not too long, the cashier was friendly, and when Larissa proceded to put all the things in their shopping basket, it happened. One moment she had the eggs in her tiny hands, and the next thing she knew was that they were lying on the ground.

She had made a mess. Oh no!

Her lower lip started to tremble. She fought back the tears as best as she could, looking at her mother out of the corner of her eyes.

The woman smiled and looked at the cashier. Then she turned around and squatted down until her eyes were at the same level as Larissa's. "See? I told you we would be making scrambled eggs tonight."

Kommentare:

ganymeder hat gesagt…

Awww, that was sweet.

Marisa Birns hat gesagt…

Not only was she beautiful, but the mother was very kind and understanding and knew just how to make her little girl feel better.

slommler hat gesagt…

Awww! What a sweet story!! Scrambled eggs are perfect!!
Hugs
SueAnn

Diandra hat gesagt…

I'll admit, I had a different ending planned, and maybe I'll share it in a day or two... but yesterday I simply didn't have the heart for it.

Enjoy!

Phlegyas hat gesagt…

That was really sweet :) If I have an objection with this story is here: "She almost stressed how important healthy stuff was for you. Fortunately, most healthy stuff tasted really good, once you got to know it."
I dont understand how/where/when did she stress out the importance of healthy eating (unless we get an out of the blue reference to her everyday way of life -irrelevant to what was being described just before that sentence). I also dont get why you changed to second person when saying that healthy food tasted good. It's like you were going out of the story to hand out a note and then you're going back to describing how the mother looked.
It may always just be me but those are my two objections. Other than that it was a real sweet story :)

Cathy Olliffe hat gesagt…

Beautiful story! Loved the ending! Will she be MY mother?

mazzz in Leeds hat gesagt…

Awww - heh, my mum wouldn't have reacted *quite* like that... :-)

You have left me wondering about why she couldn't have the puppet, and about the alternative ending you didn;t have the heart for!

Eric J. Krause hat gesagt…

Very nice story. With an attitude like that Mom is even more beautiful! Good story.

estrella05azul hat gesagt…

So sweet, loved the ending and I'm glad you didn't have the heart for the one you were thinking of (though I have no idea what you were thinking of as an alternative ending, this is just so beautiful!)

Magaly Guerrero hat gesagt…

That was so sweet Ha! I just noticed Estrellao5Azul's comment lol. This short tale told the story of what I want life with my kids to be: a world of fun and understanding. Thanks for writing on hope. Your rock!

Diandra hat gesagt…

Oh my god, now I feel like I can never share the initial ending. (I might do it nevertheless, eventually. I'm cruel.)

Laurita hat gesagt…

My mind was probably going somewhere in the direction of the ending you had in mind (so please share it) - especially when the mother got down eye to eye with her.

I did like this ending though, it wasn't what I expected, and that was almost a relief.