Freitag, 16. April 2010

No big deal

You told me to get over it.

It's a peaceful place, with plenty of flowers, vibrant green. At this time of the year, it seems as if life could go on forever. The river fills the air with soft murmur and the smell of sweet flowing water. The river bank is made of tiny, light gray pebbles, worn smooth. This spot is hidden from the world, I can't even see the ships going by, on their way to the ocean. Sometimes the cry of a bird tells me that I am not the only person in the world. The sun is shining, and there is no reason to ever go back.

I put my belongings on a flat stone. It looks like a fairy table, completely flat and perfectly oval-shaped. My phone has been switched off for days. The wallet is almost empty, except for an old poem I once found in a newspaper and a picture of my brother. A ring, a barrette and my glasses. A whole life, in such a tiny space.

The river is singing to me. Rays of sunlight are dancing over its surface. It's a peaceful place.

I will be over it soon.

Kommentare:

Sulci Collective hat gesagt…

wonderfully poetic, meditative and then that final sentence, sad.

Excellent stuff

marc nash

slommler hat gesagt…

Oh you had my mind in such a peaceful place. I could hear the river sounds and see the worn pebbles. Then my stomach feel as I read the last sentence. So sad!
Thanks so much!
Hugs
SueAnn

Marisa Birns hat gesagt…

Lulls with the poetry of the place.

Saddens with the knowledge that the person will never leave it.

mazzz in Leeds hat gesagt…

It's a sad piece, but the voice is as of one who has made up their mind - and that can be a good thing, despite the outcome

John Wiswell hat gesagt…

I didn't find it sad at all. I re-read it expecting to discover I'd missed a dead character, that this was a grave site. But I don't see that. All I see is a splendid vacation, likely necessary. It's hard to get over a desperately needed vacation. Still good to take them. Serene and sweet on both reads, Diandra.

Gracie hat gesagt…

Beautiful imagery. This story is excellent precisely because it lets the reader interpret the outcome.

Lyrical and well-done.

Cathy Olliffe hat gesagt…

That was so lovely. So many lines to savour and enjoy.

Judy hat gesagt…

wonderful place to stay forever...