Donnerstag, 27. Mai 2010

At least the cake is good

They could have avoided it all. They chose to end their lives like this.

Calm settles over me as I look around the tiny chapel. The walls are mostly clean. A few splatters of blood and some blobs of brain near the altar, but apart from that - cleaning shouldn't take too long. If they discover it soon, that is. As far as I know, hardly anyone ever comes here. It's the reason why they chose this place, after all. They would have been gone by the time somebody noticed, god knows where.

Sandra knew exactly how I felt about her relationship with Brian. She shouldn't have told me. Her happiness made me sick. She had to know I was in love with him myself.

"It's a secret, but we need your help!"

I said yes and did everything they asked. And on that special day, I showed up and caved in their stupid, love-filled balloon heads. You could say, I burst the bubbles. Two hearty swings with the axe, that's everything it took. I am a farm girl, after all. I know how to work.

Sandra's dress doesn't look too good with all the blood. I know, it's a tradition, but white simply isn't the right color for every woman. It has made her look pale, and her hair is a mess. His head has dissolved, he's responsible, you could say, for getting brain all over the church. Maybe I overreacted a little?

I turn around, I don't want to look at them anymore. I guess I will have to leave. Too bad I haven't prepared anything. I will have to take their car and hope that Sandra's clothes fit me. And I should eat something before I leave, it's going to be a long night.

Something catches my eye. The wedding cake. Not too big, it was meant for only two people - or three, if they intended to share with the late preacher. Strawberry rum chocolate, my favorite.

Kommentare:

Laura Eno hat gesagt…

Choose your friends wisely... :)
Love the title!

Cathy Olliffe hat gesagt…

The recipe looks AMAZING! No calories, right?
Ya just have to LOVE a good blood and guts wedding day with a recipe served up like the delicious dessert it deserves to be.
This was just yummy, Diandra, well written and downright delish.

Judy hat gesagt…

Sandra was not thinking clearly...

Karen from Mentor hat gesagt…

I have to laugh because any time I read the name Brian my brain re-arranges it to "brain" and I have to regroup. So you naming the groom Brian and spraying his brain all over the wall seems somehow sensible to me.
:0)

Deanna Schrayer hat gesagt…

How cleverly imaginative Diandra! A fun read.

Joanie Rich hat gesagt…

My favorite line was the: "I am a farm girl, after all. I know how to work." That was awesome. You painted a clear, gruesome picture and I like that she's still a little indecisive about what she's done - she feels authentic. And wow... that cake... heck _I_ might kill just for the gooey icing. :)

slommler hat gesagt…

What a ride!!! Great read!
And to end with talking about the wedding cake. Perfect!
Hugs
SueAnn

Sulci Collective hat gesagt…

That's going to take more than a few "hail mary's" to clean up!

The ultimate wed-lock

Nice, in a brutal sort of way

marc nash

John Wiswell hat gesagt…

And this is why, children, we tell people about our feelings rather than bottling them up and killing everybody at the wedding. Think before you axe.

Magaly Guerrero hat gesagt…

Blood, brains and cake? SWEET! This might sound terrible, but I like this girl. She sounds like a nice well-rounded psychopath ;-)

pegjet hat gesagt…

I've been waiting all day to read this as you promised cake. That cake looks amazing.

Okay, you once tweeted how when you are frustrated at work you kill someone off in a story. Must have been a really tough day; you told this one with loving details. ;-)

I sure do enjoy stopping by here; I know you'll entertain.

a.m.harte hat gesagt…

Ha! I read this without reading the title properly, then scrolled up and saw it and had a giggle. The cake does look good, too.

Tony Noland hat gesagt…

Wonderfully dispassionate and gruesome - love not just turned on its head, but sucked through a black hole. The ending with the cake was wonderful.

jdanetyler hat gesagt…

I liked how it all unfolded; nice touch at the end with the cake, too. A well written piece. :)

Marisa Birns hat gesagt…

I have to attend several weddings this summer, and I don't think they'll be as eventful as this one! :)

Loved the line about bursting the bubbles.

Cake. Yum!

Diandra hat gesagt…

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

@pegjet: A frustrating day, indeed. (^v^)

Jen Brubacher hat gesagt…

"I know, it's a tradition, but white simply isn't the right color for every woman."

HA. :) Oh dear, what a terrible friend.

Gracie hat gesagt…

Just. Brilliant.

I like this girl. She knows how to work, she's not sure she did the right thing, and she turns to cake for comfort.

Perfect story. :)

Sam hat gesagt…

I'm not sure I could manage a piece of that cake with blood and brains all around me. Great atmosphere, which has left me with a mental image I may find difficult to shift for a while.

Eric J. Krause hat gesagt…

Vicious, simply vicious. But fun to read, of course. Loved it!

estrella05azul hat gesagt…

There's a dessert :) This is great, Diandra, you caught me from the title!

Lora hat gesagt…

oh, yes please! I love this in a madcap "Kill Bill" type way. More of this lovely murderess, if you would.

Carrie hat gesagt…

This was seriously awesome! Yes I'm late. Sorry! :(

Rayna M. Iyer hat gesagt…

This is absolutely awesome. You are the Master of the really short short story.