Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010

Rain

Hell, and I thought rain would make everything better.

't was a long summer, as hot and as dry as your grandmother's - excuse me. I forgot there are ladies present. Let's say it was really hot and really dry. The gras kept dying in every garden, no matter how much water the people poured over it. The town counsil prohibited watering gardens as the resources shrank. Some old sharts wouldn't listen, of course. You know, they are as stupid as dusty boots. We even had the police come out and tell them off.

Speaking of which - the dust was everywhere. While the plants kept dying, the ground dried out and was ripped apart. Nothing like the forces of nature to show you where the hammer hangs. Going to the store for some fresh fruit, all you found was shriveled up and looked rather sorry than tasty. And it was covered in dust. My sister, who has always been obsessed with everything home-made and as fresh as possible (her husband used to joke, "If we have left-over horsemeat, I'll ride it to work tomorrow." - well, he used to when he still was her husband; the last things they said about each other were less than nice) - where was I? Ah yes... my crazy, vitamin-obsessed sister started buying canned goods. You had to take the cans home and clean them off, otherwise all the dust ended up in your dinner nevertheless.

And the sun kept shining.

Soon everything was brown and gray, and the people became increasingly aggressive. Next was a ban on fire weapons. If the mayor hadn't been clever that once, we'd probably all be dead by now.

I wonder if it would have made a difference.

The strangest thing was that, one by one, the bigger radio stations and TV programs started dying. The shows became sporadic, and then they stopped. We started playing cards again, like in the old times. A few old folks even had ancient grammophones - you needed to crank them up, literally, for some music, and the records they had were not old-fashioned, but rather dead-fashioned. But as Pa used to say, you got what you got.

And when nobody expected it, the rain came. At noon the clouds began to gather, as if they had rehearsed it again and again. The light show was great, but the thunder drove the cattle mad. I hear Johnson had to shoot all his young bulls. Stupid animals. We were mesmerized. Whoever had the opportunity to abandone his work did so and went in search of a safe place to watch.

That was six days ago. The rain hasn't stopped since. The ground was much too dry to take it up, so our streets became rivers. A few people drowned. I haven't seen an animal in days. Still no sign of life by TV or radio. The people I have met the last few days went about like zombies. We don't know what to do, and we are afraid.

Kommentare:

Anneke hat gesagt…

Ah, I like this one! Keep up the good work.

Laura Eno hat gesagt…

I like this! It seems like the start of a novel. You could take this anywhere.

Sulci Collective hat gesagt…

This reminded me of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road" in its casual apocalyptic feel. Good stuff.

There are 3 typos in the 2nd paragraph, 'sharts' for 'shirts' 'gras' for 'grass" and c'ounsil' for "council"


marc nash

slommler hat gesagt…

This is great!! Attack of the zombies for sure!! Love it
Hugs
SueAnn

Maria A. Kelly hat gesagt…

Great story! You could expand in so many directions if you wished to make this a serial. Post-apocolyptic or whatever you wanted to do with it. I, for one, would like to read more.

JW Bettencourt hat gesagt…

A few typographical errors that threw me off, but I love the atmosphere of the peace. Sulci put it quite well with the "casual apocalyptic"

Sam hat gesagt…

Very nice. I like how you've captured what could turn out to be a "gentle" apocalypse. I too would love to see a sequel to this story.

Rebecca hat gesagt…

I enjoyed the pace, and the feeling that even though things were bad, they were about to get much worse. I agree with some of the other comments, I would like to read more too.

Sarah Callejo hat gesagt…

I was even feeling thirsty at the beginning and drenched by the end!!

John Wiswell hat gesagt…

"You got what you got" - thesis statement for this soft dystopia. No overwhelmingly bleak with cards and people still trying to do what needs doing. I liked that.

T. Anne hat gesagt…

Scary! It makes me want to snuggle up with cider and read the rest.

Eric J. Krause hat gesagt…

Nothing can conjure up a good tale of horror like Mother Nature, eh? Good story!

Rachel Blackbirdsong hat gesagt…

Well done and I really like the voice of your narrator. Beautifully done.

Pamila Payne hat gesagt…

I also loved the narrator's voice. Like a conversation with a local in a place you found by accident while traveling on the wrong road. I find the theme of nature pulling the rug out from underneath civilization is reading more like nonfiction these days. And that... is scary. Well done flash.

G.P. Ching hat gesagt…

I agree with Laura. I think there is much more to this story. Good work.

Cathy Olliffe hat gesagt…

People think the end of the world will be loud and noisy but your thesis is so much more plausible - and scary.

Bukowski's Basement hat gesagt…

Sorry I'm late to the party here but I agree with Maria... The possibilities are endless here.

Baloons Studio hat gesagt…

hi there ^^! warm greeting.
do you like African food?

Diandra hat gesagt…

Thank all of you for your lovely comments and suggestions! As usual, I have no idea whether there will be more to this story. Let's wait and see!