Freitag, 8. Oktober 2010

Research

As everybody knows, research for writers, for a huge part, consists of watching people. You can't make things up in your mind all the time. You have to have real people, to observe and steal their behavior.

Sometimes it's enough to sit in a café and relax, keep your eyes open. But other scenarios demand more effort on the writer's part.

And this is why I am sitting here, in my basement. The basement is cool and dark, and I like working here. There's no telling how much time has gone by, and the others know never to disturb me down here. In the early years my family used the basement to put their stuff here, but in the meantime everything has been moved to the garage, and I have plenty of room.

I watch, for a while, closely, and then I continue typing.

... The huge needles sticking out of his body glinted in the harsh neon light, and the blood pouring down his white body appeared chemical. The colors were too intense for words, and it was no longer necessary to talk. The pleas had ceased...

Kommentare:

estrella05azul hat gesagt…

Now that's research for sure! Love this Diandra, very much in the spirit of October :)

Alexander Erben hat gesagt…

Excellent! I should try that with music - far, far away from anything that could (and would) and distract me...=)

pegjet hat gesagt…

Oh Diandra. Seriously, you give me the creeps! (I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

In an unrelated thought... how's your bf?! lol

placebythefire hat gesagt…

Hmm I think perhaps that's taking it a little far... Well written, though! :)

Steve Green hat gesagt…

Nasty character, but at least he takes his writing seriously. :)

Rachel Blackbirdsong hat gesagt…

At first I thought this was like a diary kind of post from you, then we go to the basement. Then I reread it. Whew! Great job as always.

Laura Rachel Fox hat gesagt…

Disturbing and wonderful.

Diandra hat gesagt…

@Rachel: Even if it _was_ a diary entry, I wouldn't admit it. *hehe*

Thanks for your comments!

Magaly Guerrero hat gesagt…

I know exactly what you mean. Last night I was sitting on my deck with the lights out. A raccoon stopped by, and few bugs too. I was thinking about blood, decay, change, rebirth, cold... I went to bed and dreamed about a skinny dark man trying to eat my face. I woke up at 3am and wrote a scene I'm very proud of.